Monday 28 May 2012

LITTLE DONKEY, LITTLE DONKEY .............


Hello!

Here after a long absence are my donkeys, made at West Dean whilst on the Julie Arkell Paper Mache course at the end of January 2012.

After my disastrous creature dressing panics last year I arrived at West Dean with a cunning plan: not to make anything that needed dressing!   Accordingly, making donkeys to take to my hut seemed the way forward!



This is my first donkey, I did crochet him some panniers so he carry his own stuff to the hut!

I loved him so much I decided to make him a companion with a cart to transport heavier stuff they may need ........

Here he is with a cart made from twigs and linen thread, which fastens to his granny square harness - a particularly inspired moment I thought!


I had also decided that it might be fun to make a paper mache pram - that way I could make some lovely bedding using some lovely bits and pieces of fabric which should be too taxing for an amateur sewist such as myself.

Here is the pram (which features large in stories from my childhood as anyone who knows me will confirm!)

I so wanted the pram to be a 'Silver Cross' type with suspension - which I think turned out OK - so as not
to make it too easy for myself it became increasingly important to me that the hood went up and down -
nothing like a technical challenge!  I worked well into the night (and the next morning) and eventually I 'made it have it' .......................
I have yet to make the aforesaid bedding - events rather took over at the end of my course but I fully intend to finish my little pram and will blog the finished item when done!
Now, I have been wondering if I should colour my donkeys?  Or leave them as they are? Just cant decide - suggestions would be much appreciated, I will ponder in the meantime.

I'D LOVE TO KNOW WHAT YOU THINK OF THE DONKEYS & MY LITTLE PRAM
ALL COMMENTS WELCOME!
xxDi


16 comments:

  1. Ahhh, they're all lovely! The crochet panniers and harness are cute - would they lose their impact if the donkeys were coloured? The pram is very clever. What size is it? Looking forward to seeing the bedding.

    Did I tell you I'm going to the Julie Arkell workshop at Les Soeurs in July! Whoo hoo!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI KATHERINE!
    I KEEP HOLDING BACK ON PAINTING THEM IN CASE THEY DO LOSE THEIR IMPACT - ONCE THE PAINTS ON ITS HARD TO GET IT OFF WITHOUT DAMAGING IT. MAYBE THE ANSWER IS TO MAKE SOME MORE AND PAINT THEM TO COMPARE. THE PRAMS ABOUT 6 INCHES I THINK.
    NO YOU DIDNT TELL ME ABOUT LES SOEURS! HOW EXCITING YOU WILL SO LOVE IT AND BARBARA AND MARY ALICE ARE ON IT TOO - QUITE A REUNION - WISH I WAS GOING. GIVE JULIE AND ALL AT LSA A HUGE HUG FOR ME - I EXPECT NEWS ON YOUR RETURN!!
    XXDI

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I've waited a long time to see your donkeys and I'm not dissapointed, they're lovely and that little pram, well, what can I say....it's wonderful and the lace hood folds down aswell, you are a clever bunny aren't you? I would have loved to go on Julie's course but I had to work but I'm definetly going next year, Lucey xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello again Lucey! Thanks for waiting patiently, sorry its been so long but things have been very hectic. So pleased you liked the donkeys and the pram. The pram was quite easy, only the hood was tricky. You will so enjoy Julie's course, the brochure for winter comes out around July so book early to make sure you are on it - its a very quick and flexible method and its amazing how much you can make in a couple of full days (and nights) good luck and let me know how you get on! xxdi

      Delete
  4. PS can't wait to see the covers too, xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. will post as soon as they are done! Also will be posting more paper mache, made for presents, as soon as they reach their desinations I will put the pics up.
      xx
      di

      Delete
  5. wow, that pram is a triumph.....it reminds me of a wonderful story you told me about your childhood.
    I am torn (get the pun?) between wanting to copy it or to pin it!!!!
    have missed you and been thinking of you...xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Danielle! The pram reminds me of the 'bye bye love' you made me when we got back from France! Copy it -v- Pin it debate - simple - do both! Miss you too - I hope your gorgeous ragtales toys go well! My great baby needs them all I'm sure! Last week I found a tutu she needed! Much love xxdi

      Delete
  6. Hey Dianne, love, love, love, the donkeys, cart, panniers, pram with folding crochet hood....it's all wonderful and I am turning a slight shade of green thinking about how lucky you are attending one of Julie's workshops. I just love her work......

    Maybe you should make another donkey and give it a wash of colour.....I think it would look great in a soft grey, but is also wonderful as is......Just wondering how long it actually took you to make your donkey?

    Look forward to seeing the pram when it is completely finished.

    Claire :}

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bless you Claire! Julie's courses are fabulous she is a very inspiring teacher definitely try to get on one if u can.
      The donkeys didn't take that long a couple of hours to make the form, then a couple of hours doing the coats of paper - its the drying that takes time but you can do other stuff in between and make a couple to work on. Email me on tinkeringbythesea@googlemail.com and I'll send you some instructions.
      A wash of pale grey is sounding good to me - I have a little donkey ready so I will give that a go and show it when done .
      Thanks for the feedback! Come back soon! Xxdi

      Delete
  7. I think you MUST be a magician, indeed!
    Your donkey pair is delightful and the pram - well, I imagine that Oolie will be inspired by your expertise, for sure.
    wow...those little donkeys are so sweet. I like Claire's idea of the "wash of color"
    Might be worth the experiment sometime?

    Much love to you....and great applause!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi jone! Glad u like them and hope oolie will too!
    Am trying the wash of grey on my other little donkey
    I'm currently making it saddle and will put up a picture
    When done. Thanks for all your loving support recently
    Too - I am lucky to have such great friends. Much love
    To you. Xxdi

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great team of donkeys, I wonder WHAT they will bring to the beach hut!?
    Love
    Becky

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi becky! I wish they would bring u to my hut! I'm sure you could make some great pictures by the seaside! Bring the skating monkey too and we can have afternoon tea by the sea! Xxdi

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your pram is to die for! Wonderful.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you Linda - it was quite easy to make the shell, the hood was more of a challenge - if you want to email me i will draw up a few destructions for you.
      Regards
      Diane

      Delete